What is Woodworm? Woodworm is a generic term applied to a number of beetle species, not worms. These beetle species typically include the common furniture beetle, the deathwatch beetle, wood-boring weevil and house longhorn beetle. The only time you'll see a 'worm' is when the beetles are in their larval stage. At this stage, the insects bore into and eat the wood, be it furniture or door frames. Woodworm can be a serious problem, especially if the infestation occurs within the building's support timbers and foundations.
Signs of Woodworm: There are a number of signs which can help you identify whether or not you have a woodworm infestation. Once identified, woodworm treatment Taobh A Deas Loch Aineort is essential to save timbers and furniture.
• Excessive damp due to a lack of ventilation such as in a cellar or roof space can create the ideal habitat for woodworm.
• Adult beetles, found in summer months, lay their eggs on the surface of wooden items. These are not usually visible to the naked eye.
• Once eggs hatch, the grubs bore into the wood causing structural and cosmetic damage.
• The grubs create holes in wooden items with powder (faeces) around them. Hole size may vary but are normally around 1mm in diameter.
• Blister like marks on wood may also develop as a sign that woodworm is present.
• Crumbling edges around wooden boards and joists are also a sign of active woodworm.
The work of our specialist contractors is rated in detail by people just like you. Before home improvement specialists can even be accepted to our network, they have to undergo a rigorous screening process.
Hundreds use our service daily
Types of Woodworm Treatment:
The type of Taobh A Deas Loch Aineort woodworm treatment depends on the specific species of beetle and the type of wood involved.
• Standard treatment - this typically involves the application of a long lasting, water based insecticide to all infected timbers. The insecticide kills all insects already in the timber and leaves behind a residue, which kills beetle eggs and hatching larvae.
• Oil or solvent based insecticides are sometimes used depending on the type of wood and beetle. Some chemical woodworm treatments are not suitable for varnished woods and may damage the finish.
• Electrical treatment - if wood cannot be treated by any chemical means then an electrical insect killer can be used to the kill the adult beetles before they lay eggs.
Woodworm Treatment Costs: The cost of woodworm treatment Taobh A Deas Loch Aineort can vary greatly depending on a number of factors. The extent of the damage and the labour involved to remove damaged timbers, apply insecticide and replace timbers will affect the cost of the treatment. The type of treatment used can also have an effect on the cost. Removal and disposal of infested timbers may only be available upon request. It is considered cost effective to replace infested woodwork with pretreated timber.
Is your furniture being eaten right from under you? Tired of living with crumbling timbers? We can help you find the best Taobh A Deas Loch Aineort woodworm treatment at the lowest prices. Take a minute to fill in our online form describing the extent of the suspected infestation and we'll take it from there. Woodworm is a common problem, easily solved by the professionals. Don't let wood-boring insects compromise the structural integrity and aesthetics of your home. Get a free, no-obligation quote from us today and say goodbye to unwanted pests.
Your Taobh A Deas Loch Aineort woodworm treatment questions answered
- How do I know if I need professional woodworm treatment? Woodworm infestation can ruin wood, so being able to spot the signs of an infestation is important. Generally, you will see small holes that look as if they were bored into the wood, as well as small wood droppings nearby. You will also notice that the wood is crumbly near the sides or edges, and will likely see adult beetles nearby.
- How will a professional treat the wood? Generally, professionals will install electronic traps or other traps to treat wood. They may also apply topical treatments to the wood to eliminate woodworm and prevent future infestations.
- How much does woodworm treatment cost? The average woodworm treatment will cost around £500-£1,000, depending on the size of the house. This doesn't include the cost of any wood repairs that need to be done because of damaged caused by the woodworms.
- How long does it last? The typical woodworm treatment lasts 3 to 4 years. You may notice some beetles hatching after the primary treatment has been laid down, but they will be unable to lay eggs in the treated wood, effectively breaking the life cycle of the worm.
- How can I identify Taobh A Deas Loch Aineort woodworm damage? Woodworm damage is most often noticed by the appearance of holes that seem to have been bored into wood. There may be a powdery substance around the opening as well.
Complete Our Woodworm Quote Form
Tells us a little about your woodworm affected areas with our online quote application form.
Receive Free Treatment Quotes
Up to four local specialists on our industry-leading network will be in touch with their quotes.